Certified Tumor Registrar
Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its three hospitals: Ben Taub, LBJ and Quentin Mease.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its three hospitals — Ben Taub, Lyndon B. Johnson and Quentin Mease — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
JOB SUMMARY: The Certified Tumor Registrar is responsible for performing all functions associated with the maintenance of the Harris Health System Cancer Registry; case finding, abstracting, follow-up, participating with registry quality assurance functions, and tumor boards.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High School graduate or completion of formal high school vocational training. Cancer Registry Certification.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area): Two (2) years experience as a CTR, preferably with an ACOS approved program.
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): n/a
4. Equipment Operated:Basic Desktop Computer knowledge; Proficiency with cancer registry software Elekta/Metriq preferred.
1. Communication Skills:
i.Exceptional Verbal (e.g., Public Speaking)
ii.Bilingual Skills Required: No
iii.Writing /Composing (Correspondence/Reports)
2. Other Skills: Basic analytical skills necessary in order to determine completeness and interpret medical information on diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to 80% of work time when abstracting.
Analytical, Medical Terms, P.C.
3. Advanced Education:
Advance Training/Specialty: CTR (Certified Tumor Registrar)
4. Work Schedule: Eligible for Telecommute
Benefits and EEOC
Harris Health System benefits program is designed to provide you with more flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs. Harris Health System benefits program allows you to protect your income in case of illness, death and disability, and to help you save for retirement.
It is the policy of Harris Health System to provide equal opportunity for all applicants for employment regardless political affiliation, race, color, national origin, age, sex, religious creed or disability. Applicants may request any reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application process.