Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its two hospitals: Ben Taub and LBJ.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its hospitals — Ben Taub and Lyndon B. Johnson — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
The Cisco Network Engineer II's primary responsibility is to provide design, configuration, implementation, installation, and support of the Harris Health System Network. The LAN/WAN Engineer II is working tickets, configuring, deploying, testing, and troubleshooting all network devices.
Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: Bachelors Degree (BA or BS) or equivalent professional IT experience. CCNA is required, CCNP is Preferred. Written and communication and peoples skills. This candidate must be able manage, prioritize, and complete tickets and projects with little or no supervision. Excellent understanding of LAN/WAN technologies and hands on experience with these technologies is required.
- 4-5 years of experience in relevant fields of network engineering/implementation
- Excellent technical skills on networks, primarily related to Cisco routing, switching, security, and wireless LAN products to include Catalyst and Nexus family of products, wireless LAN controllers, ASA firewalls/VPNs.Experience with MS Project is desirable
- 4+ years of experience in of networking equipment, management tools and network analyzers.
- 5+ years of experience in LAN/WAN network engineering.
- Extensive knowledge of TCP/IP IPv4/IPv6, L2/L3, SNMP, network monitors and protocol analyzers.
- Hands on experience with Cisco 3500, 3700, 4500, and 6500 series switches
- Nexus OTV experience a plus
- Experience designing, configuring, and troubleshooting EIGRP, MPLS, BGP(eBGP/iBGP), QoS, VSS, and multicast.
- Deployment experience with wireless and VoIP environments a plus.
- Perl scripting a plus
- 3+ years experience with firewalls and VPN.
Equipment Operated: All Cisco Hardware (Extensive hands on with Cisco 3500, 3700, 4500, and 6500 series switches, Firewalls, and VPNs)
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact)
Writing /Composing (Correspondence/Reports)
Analytical, Design, Mathematics, Research, Statistical, P.C., MS Word, MS Excel
Bachelors Degree - Major: Preferred Computer Science
Work Schedule: Flexible, On Call
Other Requirements: Must be willing to respond to IT related Outages on 24X7 basis. Must have strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to prioritize work efficiently, and good team orientation.
Harris Health System benefits program is designed to provide you with more flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs. Harris Health System benefits program allows you to protect your income in case of illness, death and disability, and to help you save for retirement.
It is the policy of Harris Health System to provide equal opportunity for all applicants for employment regardless political affiliation, race, color, national origin, age, sex, religious creed or disability. Applicants may request any reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application process.