Epic Analytics Developer III
Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its two hospitals: Ben Taub and LBJ.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its hospitals — Ben Taub and Lyndon B. Johnson — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
JOB SUMMARY: The Epic Analytics Developer III is responsible for the design, development, implementation and support of enterprise reports, dashboards, and other analytic or operational informational artifacts. Working with cross-functional teams, the Epic Analytics Developer III participates in review of current workflows and informational goals in order to translate them into reporting requirements that will meet clinical needs. The Epic Analytics Developer III then uses those requirements to develop a solution with the appropriate operational or analytical tool.
Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, CIS, Engineering, or related technical degree or 4 years of related IT experience in a Healthcare environment.
Work Experience: 5+ Years related experience
Management Experience: 1 year preferred
Communication Skills: Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact), Writing /Composing Correspondence, Reports
Other Skills: Analytical, Design, Research, Statistical
Work Schedule: Flexible, Overtime
Other Requirements: 2 Epic Clarity Data Model certifications preferred, 3 years' health care experience preferred
TYPICAL DUTIES THAT MAY BE PERFORMED:
- Report Development
- Meet with other IT staff and end users in support of operational or analytic reporting product development
- Gather user requirements, set priorities, write business and technical specifications, and produce different levels of documentation for users and support staff, when necessary
- Review vendor created reports for usability and applicability to user needs
- Conduct relational analysis on technical requirements, and develop and troubleshoot reporting products and artifacts such as dashboards, reports, stored procedures, views, and/or queries
- Optimize report execution for quicker performance and fewer required DBMS resources.
- Ensure high quality of products by ensuring data and algorithms are correct, and review peer reports for validity
- Ensure that reporting technologies are used in such a way that the data presented correctly meets user requirements.
- Distribute reporting products to consumers using SAP Business Objects Enterprise, Report2Web, or Epic-Crystal or Epic-Business Objects integration, or other custom means
- Identify and report instances of incorrect application of logic when making modifications to existing reports and views
- Research questions about data and reconcile reports using available SQL tools
- Review upgrade documentation related to Clarity features and released Crystal reporting content, and determine how to implement the changes
- Act as subject matter expert for Clarity data model
- Identify and review the appropriate technological solutions for various reporting needs
- Investigate potential applications and utilities that may be useful in performing job functions, and perform the research and testing necessary to confirm or reject their use. Communicate findings to team/supervisor
- Reporting Project Management
- Work with Manager, Director, or Project Manager to identify tasks and timelines for the implementation of solutions in support of business objectives. Based on technical specifications, provide estimates for development times for reporting
- Based on technical specifications, provide estimates for development times for reporting
- Report project activity and status in writing according to prescribed format and interval to designated management, and assist less experienced employees in status reporting
- Handle multiple activities simultaneously, prioritize effectively, and meet overlapping deadlines
- Identify, resolve or escalate project issues to appropriate individuals in a reasonable period of time
- Development Management
- Maintain version histories of reports, views, and other reporting development artifacts as they are developed and modified, as well as administer the source control server.
- Assist and support the training of less experienced IT employees
- Observe change control procedures and when possible, ensure changes can be rolled back
- Assist other report developers in correctly setting up their development computer, and in the maintenance of the requirements for a correct and complete configuration
- Assist with training other report developers in the specifics of Epic’s technologies and the HHS implementation of them
- Assist other team members with difficulties encountered due to unexpected data difficulties, system behavior, or indeterminable data locations
- Develop reports and supporting objects according to agreed upon best practices and the defined EMR report development process
- Suggest best practices and optimizations for team report development within the EMR team
- Participate in team report/code reviews, and demonstrate various technologies that are currently in use by the development team, or new technologies that may enhance the development process
- Ensure development artifacts are adequately commented to ensure ease of maintenance
- Assist Manager/Director with interviewing potential candidates
- Professional Development
- Obtain/Maintain certifications for the technologies in employee’s area of responsibility
- Develop and maintain proficiency in the use of those applications, utilities, technologies, and skills required for the fulfillment of the job functions required of the Epic analytic developer role
Benefits and EEOC
Harris Health System benefits program is designed to provide you with more flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs. Harris Health System benefits program allows you to protect your income in case of illness, death and disability, and to help you save for retirement.
It is the policy of Harris Health System to provide equal opportunity for all applicants for employment regardless political affiliation, race, color, national origin, age, sex, religious creed or disability. Applicants may request any reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application process.