Interpreter - Full-Time Nights (11:00 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.) Ben Taub Hospital
Harris Health System is the public healthcare safety-net provider established in 1966 to serve the residents of Harris County, Texas. As an essential healthcare system, Harris Health champions better health for the entire community, with a focus on low-income uninsured and underinsured patients, through acute and primary care, wellness, disease management and population health services. Ben Taub Hospital (Level 1 Trauma Center) and Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital (Level 3 Trauma Center) anchor Harris Health’s robust network of 39 clinics, health centers, specialty locations and virtual (telemedicine) technology. Harris Health is among an elite list of health systems in the U.S. achieving Magnet® nursing excellence designation for its hospitals, the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance designation for its patient-centered clinics and health centers and its strong partnership with nationally recognized physician faculty, residents and researchers from Baylor College of Medicine; McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth); The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; and the Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine at the University of Houston.
Skills / Requirements
The Interpreter provides oral interpretations and/or written translations in specified languages(s) and maintains accurate and timely records of all interpretation encounters. Interpreters identify and assist in fulfilling the psychosocial needs of the limited-English speaking patients, visitors and guests. Interpretations will be conducted in person and over the phone as business needs dictate.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High School Diploma or GED; and must be competent and proficient orally in Spanish and English.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area): One (1) year of experience in medical interpretation in a healthcare setting or equivalent experience required; healthcare experience preferred. Must pass an interpretation proficiency examination as designated by Harris Health System (Bilingual required.)
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): N/A
4. Equipment Operated: Computer, Fax Machine, Copy Machine, Projector, Adding Machine, Multiline phone.
1. Communication Skills:
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact) X
Exceptional Verbal (Public Speaking)
Bilingual Skills Required Yes, Required
Writing/Composing: Correspondence / Reports
2. Other Skills:
Medical Term., Typing (wpm)(PC), Microsoft Office
3. Advanced Education Preference:
Advanced Training: Specialty:
4. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
5. Other Requirements: Must be able to answer written questions in the desired language(s) and demonstrate the ability to interpret in the target language. Proficiency assessment/competency: Candidates must pass a language proficiency examination in medical terminology, Spanish and English. Exhibits high standards of professionalism and integrity, works harmoniously with internal and external customers, and maintains client confidentiality.