Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its three hospitals: Ben Taub, LBJ and Quentin Mease.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its three hospitals — Ben Taub, Lyndon B. Johnson and Quentin Mease — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Skills / Requirements
The Interpreter provides oral interpretations and/or written translations in specified languages(s) and maintains accurate and timely records of all interpretation encounters. Interpreters identify and assist in fulfilling the psychosocial needs of the limited-English speaking patients, visitors and guests. Interpretations will be conducted in person and over the phone as business needs dictate.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High School Diploma or GED; and must be competent and proficient orally in Spanish and English.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area): One (1) year of experience in medical interpretation in a healthcare setting or equivalent experience required; healthcare experience preferred. Must pass an interpretation proficiency examination as designated by Harris Health System (Spanish required.)
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): N/A
4. Equipment Operated: Computer, Fax Machine, Copy Machine, Projector, Adding Machine, Multiline phone.
1. Communication Skills:
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact) X
Exceptional Verbal (Public Speaking)
Bilingual Skills Required Yes X or No
Writing/Composing: Correspondence / Reports
2. Other Skills:
Medical Term., Typing (wpm)(PC), Microsoft Office
3. Advanced Education Preference:
Advanced Training: Specialty:
4. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
5. Other Requirements: Must be able to answer written questions in the desired language(s) and demonstrate the ability to interpret in the target language. Proficiency assessment/competency: Candidates must pass a language proficiency examination in medical terminology, Spanish and English. Exhibits high standards of professionalism and integrity, works harmoniously with internal and external customers, and maintains client confidentiality.