At Harris Health System, we champion better health for our patients, their families and our community, by connecting them to an integrated healthcare system that provides high-quality healthcare. Harris Health focuses on the delivery of primary care, wellness and prevention services to the residents of Harris County, Texas, through its extensive network of inpatient and outpatient facilities. Harris Health is a proud recipient of the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance designation for its patient-centered medical homes. Harris Health's medical faculty and residents are provided by its nationally recognized medical school partners: Baylor College of Medicine; McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth); and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Skills / Requirements
The Interpreter provides oral interpretations and/or written translations in specified languages(s) and maintains accurate and timely records of all interpretation encounters. Interpreters identify and assist in fulfilling the psychosocial needs of the limited-English speaking patients, visitors and guests. Interpretations will be conducted in person and over the phone as business needs dictate.
1. Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: High School Diploma or GED; and must be competent and proficient orally in Spanish and English.
2. Work Experience (Years and Area): One (1) year of experience in medical interpretation in a healthcare setting or equivalent experience required; healthcare experience preferred. Must pass an interpretation proficiency examination as designated by Harris Health System (Spanish required.)
3. Management Experience (Years and Area): N/A
4. Equipment Operated: Computer, Fax Machine, Copy Machine, Projector, Adding Machine, Multiline phone.
1. Communication Skills:
Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact) X
Exceptional Verbal (Public Speaking)
Bilingual Skills Required Yes X or No
Writing/Composing: Correspondence / Reports
2. Other Skills:
Medical Term., Typing (wpm)(PC), Microsoft Office
3. Advanced Education Preference:
Advanced Training: Specialty:
4. Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible
5. Other Requirements: Must be able to answer written questions in the desired language(s) and demonstrate the ability to interpret in the target language. Proficiency assessment/competency: Candidates must pass a language proficiency examination in medical terminology, Spanish and English. Exhibits high standards of professionalism and integrity, works harmoniously with internal and external customers, and maintains client confidentiality.