Manager IT/Software Engineer
Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its three hospitals: Ben Taub, LBJ and Quentin Mease.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its three hospitals — Ben Taub, Lyndon B. Johnson and Quentin Mease — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
The Manager IT/Software Engineer ensures that the software development and operational interests of Harris Health System are being fully represented in the day-to-day operations of the Information Systems Department. This role will lead a team of technical analysts for software development, application support, and strategic project tasks. This role must be able to manage organizational priorities.
Work Experience (Years and Area):
Management Experience (Years and Area): Prefer 5+ years' management experience leading a team of developers, business analysts, and system administrators, preferably C#, .Net and SharePoint
Work Schedule: Flexible
The ideal candidate will have:
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead team of software engineers for application development, support, and strategic project tasks.
2. Must be able to manage organizational priorities.
3. Assist in development and maintenance of policies, standards, and procedures to support to organization.
4. Assist in development and implementation of organization's application development strategy.
5. Implement best practices and coding standards for a development environment.
6. Recommend technical objectives for integration, reporting, security and disaster recovery.
7. Must have a thorough understanding of the limitations and opportunities of the applications supported.
8. Change Management knowledge and experience.
9. Ensure system health and stability by overseeing all maintenance efforts.
10. Report project activity and status to upper management.
11. Must be able to handle multiple activities simultaneously, be able to prioritize effectively, and meet overlapping deadlines. Know when to delegate.
12. Escalate issues appropriately and expeditiously to appropriate individuals.
13. Demonstrate ability to troubleshoot issues within applications being supported.
14. Demonstrate willingness to learn new applications.
15. Gather and document user requirements and needs and present recommendations for solutions.
16. Manage all aspects of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
17. Work harmoniously & professionally with all members of Help Desk staff, the end user community, application support personnel, and the HCHD management infrastructure.
18. Provide follow up or status on outstanding issues.
19. Support implementations of software products including: development of user documentation; test software; provide end user troubleshooting of software.
20. Maintain current, detailed knowledge of package and technical solutions available in the marketplace.
21. Attend off site training or certification courses or seminars as appropriate.
22. Must have working knowledge of Project Management Institute project standards.
Benefits and EEOC
Harris Health System benefits program is designed to provide you with more flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs. Harris Health System benefits program allows you to protect your income in case of illness, death and disability, and to help you save for retirement.