Security Officer II
Harris Health System is the public healthcare safety-net provider established in 1966 to serve the residents of Harris County, Texas. As an essential healthcare system, Harris Health champions better health for the entire community, with a focus on low-income uninsured and underinsured patients, through acute and primary care, wellness, disease management and population health services. Ben Taub Hospital (Level 1 Trauma Center) and Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital (Level 3 Trauma Center) anchor Harris Health’s robust network of 39 clinics, health centers, specialty locations and virtual (telemedicine) technology. Harris Health is among an elite list of health systems in the U.S. achieving Magnet® nursing excellence designation for its hospitals, the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance designation for its patient-centered clinics and health centers and its strong partnership with nationally recognized physician faculty, residents and researchers from Baylor College of Medicine; McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth); The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; and the Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine at the University of Houston.
Skills / Requirements
The Security Officer II is responsible for patrolling, protecting, and securing all Harris Health System's buildings and grounds, promoting safety and security at all locations. Promotes safety and security at all Harris Health locations. Responds to all crisis intervention team activations, prevents patient elopements, and assist medical staff with restraint of patients as requested.
School Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Licenses & Certifications:
- IAHSS Basic Security Officer Training Program must be completed within six months of employment.
- Valid Texas Driver's License.
- Basic Life Support from a hospital based AHA program
- Satori Alternatives to Managing Aggression (SAMA) certification or equivalent certification required within 30days. If certification other than SAMA is held at the time of hire, must be recertified as SAMA upon expiration of held certification.
- Must be Registered by the Texas Private Security Bureau within 90 days of employment.
Work Experience: One (1) year experience in security, criminal justice, military, healthcare, or related experience; or a combination of the above.
Communication Skills: Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contract), Writing /Reports
Proficiencies: MS Word, P.C., Typing 20 WPM
Work Schedule: Weekends, Holidays, Flexible, Overtime
- E-1 availability during disaster situations.
- Must be able to understand the English language and communicate it effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Proficiency in the use of computers is required
Equipment Operated: PC based electronic access control, CCTV, parking systems, Handheld Radio systems, and Patrol vehicle
Typical Duties That May Be Performed
1. Delivers exceptional customer service by embracing ServiceFIRST standards of behavior during all patient, visitor and staff encounters. Assist visitors and patients by answering questions and directing them to their proper destination.
2. Works collaboratively with colleagues to deliver patient/customer services that meet or exceed patient expectations as evidenced by patient satisfaction scores.
3. Patrols Harris Health System buildings, grounds and parking areas in Security vehicle or on foot. Monitors assigned area in a manner assuring maximum visibility of the security presence. Controls access of areas and controls parking areas, prevents vehicles from parking illegally.
4. Conducts rounds through security sensitive areas and areas of risk Patrols emergency and urgent care areas, lobbies, waiting areas, and stairwells. Identifies and reports all fire and safety hazards, suspicious activities or breaches of security.
5. Controls materials by requesting package passes or equipment cards for equipment and items being taken from buildings. Prepares appropriate documentation as required.
6. Responds to emergencies, including fire alarms, and assists in fire drills. Maintains knowledge of emergency response plans, systems, and equipment. Responds to all crisis intervention team activations, prevents patient elopements, and assist medical staff with restraint of patients as requested
7. Prepares and submits security investigation, activity logs, and incident report forms as required and within assigned shift.
8. Subdues and/or detains unruly visitors, employees and patients. Assists law enforcement as requested. Assists hospital staff in the restraint of patients as requested.
9. Monitors CCTV, Access Control System and parking systems. Assists with making I.D. Badges as requested. Properly operates and cares for security equipment.
10. Maintains and operates Parking Automated System as required.
11. Performs Psychiatric transports as requested.
12. Provides escort to patients, employees and guests as requested.
13. Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting mandatory education requirements of Harris Health and the Department of Public Safety. Serves as a preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff.