Supplemental Security Officer I
Harris Health System is the public healthcare safety-net provider established in 1966 to serve the residents of Harris County, Texas. As an essential healthcare system, Harris Health champions better health for the entire community, with a focus on low-income uninsured and underinsured patients, through acute and primary care, wellness, disease management and population health services. Ben Taub Hospital (Level 1 Trauma Center) and Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital (Level 3 Trauma Center) anchor Harris Health’s robust network of 39 clinics, health centers, specialty locations and virtual (telemedicine) technology. Harris Health is among an elite list of health systems in the U.S. achieving Magnet® nursing excellence designation for its hospitals, the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance designation for its patient-centered clinics and health centers and its strong partnership with nationally recognized physician faculty, residents and researchers from Baylor College of Medicine; McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth); The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center; and the Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine at the University of Houston.
Skills / Requirements
The Supplemental Security Officer I is responsible for patrolling, protecting, and securing of all Harris Health System's buildings and grounds promoting safety and security at all locations. Responds to all crisis intervention team activations and assists by providing security for area.
High School Diploma or GED.
Licenses & Certifications:
- Basic Life Support; training must be completed within six months of employment.
- Valid Texas Driver's License
- Must be registered by the Texas Private Security Bureau within 90 days of employment.
Communication Skills: Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact), Writing/ Reports
MS Word, P.C., Typing
Work Schedule: Weekends, Flexible, Overtime, Holidays
- E-1 availability during disaster situations. Must be able to understand the English language and communicate it effectively in both verbal and written form.
- Equipment Operated: PC based electronic access control, CCTV, and parking systems. Handheld Radio systems. Patrol vehicle.
Typical Duties That May Be Performed
1. Delivers exceptional customer service by embracing ServiceFIRST standards of behavior during all patient, visitor and staff encounters. Assists visitors and patients by answering questions and directing them to their proper destination.
2. Works collaboratively with colleagues to deliver patient/customer services that meet or exceed patient expectations as evidenced by patient satisfaction scores.
3. Patrols Harris Health System buildings, grounds and parking areas in Security vehicle or on foot. Monitors assigned area in a manner assuring maximum visibility of the security presence. Controls access of areas and controls parking areas, prevents vehicles from parking illegally.
4. Conducts rounds through security sensitive areas and areas of risk. Patrols emergency and urgent care areas, lobbies, waiting areas, and stairwells. Identifies and reports all fire and safety hazards, suspicious activities or breaches of security.
5. Controls materials by requesting package passes or equipment cards for equipment and items being taken from buildings. Prepares appropriate documentation as required.
6. Responds to emergencies, including fire alarms, and assists in fire drills. Maintains knowledge of emergency response plans, systems, and equipment. Responds to all crisis intervention team activations and assists by providing security for area.
7. Prepares and submits security investigation, activity logs, and incident report forms as required and within assigned shift.
8. Assists with unruly visitors, employees and patients. Assists law enforcement as requested.
9. Monitors CCTV, Access Control System and parking systems. Assists with making I.D. Badges as requested. Properly operates and cares for security equipment.
10. Maintains and operates Parking Automated System as required.
11. Provides escort to employees and guests upon request.
12. Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting mandatory education requirements of Harris Health and the Department of Public Safety.
13. Performs other duties as directed.